Tuesday, November 6, 2012


Reading Response Week Twelve

That which seems like poison at first but tastes like nectar in the end -- this is the joy of sattva, born of a mind at peace with itself. (18.37)

This quote reminded me of those Sour Patch commercials where the mascot does something bad, then something sweet because “Sour Patch Kids are sour first, then they are sweet”. But even beyond making me crave the candy, I really appreciate the sentiment. I especially liked the end part of the quote, that explained why someone could endure something that tasted like poison at first before becoming sweet. Someone with the mind “at peace with itself” can endure that bitter process. As someone who has been involved in athletics all my life, I am definitely of the mindset that athletic achievement is 90% mental. Most pain is mental and your ability to overcome it is largely a reflection of your state of mind. I like this idea of happiness, the “no pressure, no diamonds” approach. It makes the good parts of life much sweeter. Although, if I was going to be honest, in my college years, I have been more of this mindset,

Those who are tamasic draw their pleasures from sleep and indolence (18.39)

Right now I am pretty sure I draw most of my pleasure from sleep and laying in my bed eating peanut butter m&ms. But ideally, I’d like to be more sattvatic in my fitness and general life. 

In addition to athletics, I think this idea can apply to difficulties of everyday life. If you can have peace of mind, whether through faith or other means, you are preparing yourself to go through the “bitter” parts of life that although challenging, will shape you in a positive way. It is encouraging to believe that if I cultivate a true peace of mind now, I can survive the inevitable difficult days ahead of me. It brings a sense of control to the unpredictable future. 

2 comments:

  1. I'm right there with you. I like Sour Patch kids and sleep. I've probably slept more in college than I did when I was an infant. Laziness is definitely a vice of mine. I should do more yoga and less laying around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha this is a great post. My mouth is definitely watering. i really liked that first quote too. It makes me think of when you first realize that following Christ is really hard, but then later He starts teaching you that his glory is spread most when his people are happy in Him!

    ReplyDelete